Favourite Films - August 2018


Hi guys,

How is it September already? I feel like August just zoomed past me at full speed. Don't get me wrong I love September as it is the official start of my favourite season, Autumn, but it also means I head back to university soon for my final year....crazy!

This summer, I have immersed myself in books and films. If any of you have read my introduction post, you might have read that I like to read romance books...films are no different. However, I have been told on multiple occasions that I haven't seem some legendary films because I don't like stepping outside of my preferred genre.

Some of my all time favourite films are:


  • Perks of being a Wallflower - 2012
  • Now Is Good - 2012
  • The Fault in Our Stars - 2014
  • It's Kind of a Funny Story - 2010
  • Dirty Dancing - 1987
  • To Sir with Love - 1967
  • Pretty Woman - 1990
  • Legally Blonde - 2001
  • Love Actually - 2003
Being brought up by my Mum who loves romance films/rom coms, has evidently had an apparent effect on me, which I love. However, sometimes I wish I was more versatile....but I like the predictability of a romance film now, with the cliche story line, but guaranteed I will still bawl my eyes out at the end. 

***POST WILL CONTAIN FILM SPOILERS!!!!!!!****

So without further ado, my favourite films I watched or rewatched in August:

1) To All the Boys I've Loved Before - 2018

Oh My Goodness, where do I even begin? I stumbled upon the book of this film a few years ago and fell in love with the plot, the setting and the characters. I need to find my own Peter Kavinsky, is all I'm saying. The film is a slight adaptation of the book, however I think I genuinely prefer the film!

The film focuses on the main character (Lara Jean) and how her secret love letters get sent to each of her crushes that have existed so far. She's used to being a wallflower, but things have a way of taking a very different turn!

Since watching the film copious times, I've also managed to read the entire trilogy and become extremely attached to the characters, all over again! 

I'm way too excited for the sequel to come out already, I have very high hopes for it!

2) The Kissing Booth - 2018

This film hit me in places I didn't even know existed. I thought truthfully it would be a crappy Netflix film but I was so wrong and enjoyed the mushy film so much!

It's about A teenager Elle's first kiss leads to a forbidden romance with the hottest boy in high school, she risks her relationship with her best friend. ... And when she kisses his big brother, she breaks the biggest one.


Not even remotely ashamed to say I've watched this film 40+ times, however the ending disappoints me each time I watch it...hope there is a sequel coming - I need to know what happens!!

3) Endless Love - 2014

This film is one of those ones that it doesn't register straight away if you've watched it or not. It's very much a modern day Romeo & Juliet with all sorts of cringy escapades throughout.

The film is a remake of the 1981 cult classic, the incendiary first love affair between two teens grows obsessive when their parents try to separate them. They're experiencing all the passion, emotion and intensity of first love. And then their parents intervene.

Since Wild Child, Alex Pettyfer has held a special place in my heart, I always expect him to get uglier with age but it just doesn't happen, definitely not a sight for sore eyes!


If you want an emotional film to watch - this is one that I would highly recommend!!!

4) Sydney White - 2007

As a young child I remember watching a few things that starred Amanda Bynes - The Amanda show on Nickelodeon and She's the Man (2006) spring to mind.

Until this film appeared on my suggested films to watch on Netflix, I had no clue it even existed! I'm super glad I discovered it a few years ago. It's one of those films that if I can't find anything else to watch, I will happily put on!

This funny film is about a college student discovers that her sorority is a nasty, backhanded clique, so as a disenchanted college freshman, she takes up an opportunity with a group of seven outcasts.


Definitely a feel good film!


5) The Duff - 2015

From the outset I'd heard GREAT things about this film, so in my opinion it had a lot to live up to! It was a really good film that I thoroughly enjoyed. I felt a whirlwind of emotions watching it, cringey was definitely one of them! Just like any Sydney White (2007) it's another one of my go to films if I can't find something new to watch!

The plot of the film: When a smart high schooler learns she's the Designated Ugly Fat Friend in her popular clique, she enlists a jock's help for a massive makeover.

I think the whole idea of the concept 'DUFF' is incredibly stupid though as everyone should be comfortable and happy in their own skin and I'm a firm believer that nobody should feel victimised or isolated like that. In a fictional context I don't mind it but until this film I'd never heard of the term 'DUFF' anyway. In addition, I personally think the book to this film is pretty atrocious and definitely doesn't live up to the standard of the film, which I find is pretty rare!

Thanks for reading! Hope you got an insight into some of the films I've watched this summer!!


What do you like to watch? Have you seen any of these? Any recommendations for me to watch? or what films have you enjoyed this summer? (They don't have to be romance!!!) 

Interested to get your opinions!

Until next time,

Erin xo

Comments

  1. I love the majority of these films! It seems we both have very great taste.

    Faye Jessica | fayejessica.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I highly recommend the Chinese TV drama "Meteor Garden". It is based off the Taiwanese one, which is based off the Japanese manga. I looooooooooooooove this story and even love this version. I cried when watching it on live stream this Wednesday and I cried when I watched the subs tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maaaate! I literally watched all these films in August too! Didn't really care for The Kissing Booth but TATBILB and Sydney White I'll watch and rewatch all day long!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I watched To All The Boys I've Loved Before and I really loved it -- it was such a feel good movie. I'm actually a sucker for animated films and I have been enjoying movies like Coco, Hercules, and How To Train Your Dragon.

    Thanks for sharing! x

    Michelle
    dressingwithstyle-s.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some really interesting suggestions. I love watching thriller series, movies and read psychological thriller novels too. But like to have a nice change in between. I will check these films out. Thanks for sharing. Endless love, Pretty woman are my favs too. :-)

    Via | http://glossnglitters.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for a comment, greatly appreciated x

Popular Posts